<$BlogRSDUrl$>

8.30.2004

I Could Look At Ming Tsai All Day


I wrote this blog the other day, but, alack, it did not get published. Damn Safari browser. Anyway here's a rewrite.

(btw: the above quote is from my wife's aunt)

On Wednesday the inlaws brought us to Blue Ginger (their friends cancelled on them, and my ever-resourceful and grubby wife insinuated ourselves into an implied invitation). It was my first 'celebrity restaurant' (unless you count the Mulligatawny I got from the Soup Nazi, but that's a story for my memoirs, tentatively titled either "I Fuck Like a Lesbian" or "Damn Cripples Took My Money"), and I did not know what to expect. It was just a suburban restaurant, from what I could tell in the interior. The ceiling was made of the same foam/insulation crap that hung in every high school classroom I ever worked in (and that we also had hanging in the delightful casual family dining establishment that I chronicled in earlier postings). The decor was okay, not as swanky as I would expect. (What's he doing with all the Public Television money? Obviously not spending it on decorating!).

Here's how the grub broke down: appetizer: Mussels; entrees: Dad: butterfish; Mom: lamb w/ tabouleh; Wifey: polenta and grilled vegetable napoleon (pile stuff in a stack and call it a napoleon and charge twenty dollars for it); CFranz: chili tea infused porkloin. (Overcooked: I requested medium). For desert wife and I split a sorbet banana split, which was very nice. I also had a saketini for aperitif. If the inlaws weren't there I could easily have had one or seven more. I believe that sake directly contributed to the conception of my first daughter. (The equation for making a baby goes like this: Sake + Alison Kraus concert = unexpected baby surprise). Overall the food was pretty good, but not earthshatteringly great. We'll go again someday. I can't help but feeling that I had just as good or better back in good old c-ville. Jarman's Gap in Crozet and teh Old Mill Room at the Boar's Head Inn, to name just two examples.

Oh yeah, we did see Ming Tsai. He was walking around the dining room signing menus and cookbooks. He is kinda attractive, as Aunt Beth avers, but he does look like he went through some cosmetic.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?